Saturday, July 10, 2010

Back again

This week I was finally climbing out of a little running-funk that I didn't even realize I was in. After a marathon, for me anyway, it takes a while before I can mentally commit myself to running a lot. Add onto that a new-floor-installation project at home and a stomach bug, and my running just wasn't the same. Whether it was the sore knees or the stomach cramps, I wasn't able to run very far or fast at all. Finally last weekend I felt back. I feel fresh and motivated. My mileage slipped to around 20/week - but this week should be back up at 30. I have started throwing in speed work after easy/long runs. Today I ran 9 miles, then hit the track. I only did 2 x 800 and 2 x 400, but I was able to hit the speeds I usually hit on my speed workouts. Maybe I need to run harder on speed days!

Next weekend is a 5k, my first race since the marathon. I would LOVE to break 20:00, but I would need to feel REALLY good, have perfect weather, maybe even some hurricane force winds behind me. Hopefully I can at least run a PR (anything under 21:11), and maybe save 20:00 for another day.

My total mileage is up over 600 for the year. I am on pace to reach my goal of 1,000 miles - which means my donation will get doubled! Knowing that my running will have a purpose beyond some fitness goal has been a great feeling. Now I am hoping that I can run some races under my goal times to increase my donation amount!


No comments:

Post a Comment