I am very encouraged by my most recent work out. It's called Yasso 800's (after famed runner Bart Yasso). In preparation for a marathon, you run 10 800 meter repeats, and your min:sec time is supposed to be an indicator of the marathon time you can run in hours:min. For example, if you run each lap in 3:00, you could run a 3 hour marathon. I did this work out on Saturday, after a 5 mile warm up run. I averaged right around 3:25 per 800. Do I think I can run a 3:25:00 marathon? Maybe - but I doubt I'll attempt to run that fast. It's great to see the level my fitness is at.
I have one more long run in my training for Philadelphia. The difference in my training this time compared to previous marathons is my pace. I have been starting my long runs at an easy pace, but then trying to increase it to around 8:00 min/mile range. That is how I plan to run the race in 3 weeks too. I figure if I start off and run the first 5 miles at a 9 minute/mile pace - it won't feel difficult at all. It will allow me to settle into a nice groove, not feel tired, and it will only mean an additional 5 minutes of time as compared to taking off at an 8 minute/mile pace. I think I can then slowly increase my speed over the next few miles to somewhere between 8:00 - 8:30, and try to maintain that for a while. I know I'll likely slow down at the end, but if I can maintain a good pace for the middle 15-18 miles, I'll be very happy.
I hope I see the benefits of my increased training intensity in the race. I know some things will be dependent on things I can't control on race day. The benefits may be evident despite a less than encouraging time. The more and more I train, the more and more I want to train - and train harder. I wonder what I could do if I really push myself. A strong showing in Philly will really further that desire.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment