Sunday, February 28, 2010

Good weeks and bad weeks...

Sometimes you can go out for a run, and feel great. Your legs feel fresh, the temperature is just right, and you feel like you could keep going for miles and miles. This week was not like that. The weather has been horrible. It has seemingly been snowing and/or raining since Monday. The roads have been slippery, so I was putting off my first run of the week. Suddenly it was Thursday and I hadn't run a mile all week - so I had to get out there. I ran three miles in the pouring rain/freezing cold. It was awful. Saturday I ran four miles in the morning as a light snow was falling. It wasn't as bad, but it wasn't great. Today I had my long run - 12 miles. The weather was ok, but that's about it. My legs just felt heavy and slow the entire time. Many parts of the path still had a covering of wet slushy snow, which was very slippery. At about mile 3 I began to regret the enromous burger and beer I had yesterday for lunch. Around mile 7 I made an emergency stop to use the restrooms at a local gym. The entire time I felt slow and weak. I probably should have brought more to drink than 12 oz of Gatorade. Either way, it is weeks like this that make future weeks easier and more enjoyable. This week was tough, but I was able to fight through, log the miles I needed to, and next week is a taper week - all runs are 6 miles or less. I think after four straight weekends of 10+ mile long runs, my body is ready for a break.

I am still on pace for my goal of 1,000 miles this year! So far I have raised over $16 of my own money, and I have continued to hear other people say they are interested. As the training gets tougher, I know this will be the added motivation I need to push through!


No comments:

Post a Comment