Saturday, April 17, 2010

I was robbed during my 20 mile run...twice

You know we're living in a society! Ok, so I wasn't robbed at gunpoint, knifepoint, or anything like that. I wasn't even technically robbed - but someone else is now in possession of something of mine. Two things of mine.

When I run, I go on a paved bike path. Sometimes I leave a water bottle or two out, rather than carry them. Sometimes I shed some clothing as I get warmer. I always go back and pick everything up - or at least try to. Today I was down one water bottle and one pair of pants. Two different times, similar location. Did someone see a full water bottle and decide to satisfy their thirst at my expense? Did someone see a sweaty pair of running pants looped around a fence and think it was great luck they were their size? I need to plan some sort of twix-candy-line-up-type set up.

The run itself was great. 20 miles, 9:00 pace. At the end, I felt like I absolutely could have done another 6.2. Whether or not I would have wanted to is a different story. Thinking about the excitement of race day, the crowd support, and the fact that I would have been resting before hand for three weeks makes me feel very excited about my training to this point. The VT marathon is 44 days away, and I think I will be able to accomplish my main goal - to run the race and have fun. Ideally, I would like my finishing time to start with a 3...but as long as I am able to run from start to finish, and enjoy it, I'll be happy.

This was a heavy mileage week (for me) at just over 34 miles. For most marathoners, that is nothing. I have found that staying between 25-35 miles/week leaves me feeling fresh and (knock on wood) less likely to be injured.

2010 miles are over 336, which is great. I'm hoping to add to the fundraising in the near future by hitting some race goals. Next Sunday is a 10k, and then of course the marathon Memorial Day weekend. Very exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment