Sunday, April 25, 2010

Last race before VT Marathon

Today was my last race before the VT Marathon, on 5/30. It was a 10k, and I wasn't feeling good about it. Having just completed 3 tough weeks of training, including a 20 mile run last Saturday and hill repeats this Wednesday - I was convinced my time today would be slower than I would like. Yesterday after helping Dan and Liz move into their new house, I had some pizza and beer with them. Anyone who has hung out with me the day before a race or long run knows that I am a pain about what I eat and drink (seriously, ask Krystle). Last night I had a big chocolate milkshake after dinner. Not the same as my normal gatorade/electrolyte drinks.

Maybe it was the cool weather or the fact I set low/zero expectations, but I ran (for me) a solid race today. I ran the 10k in 43:37 (or just over 7:00/mi). I placed second in my division and 20th overall. I felt like the pace was comfortable, which makes me really excited for the marathon! I am still not sure what pace I will try to run there, but this race was a good sign.

Unfortunately I missed my extra-donation-race-goal by 2 seconds! I think I will try to find another 10k at some point this year to try to beat that time, and raise an extra $20. The mileage is racking up, and that means so is the money! This next week is a lighter mileage week as I gear up for my last 20 miler before the marathon (2 weeks from yesterday). Then it's 3 weeks of taking it easy as race day approaches. Really looking forward to that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment