Saturday, May 8, 2010

Do You Ever Feel Like You're Running in Place?

I do. Today I ran 20 miles on a treadmill. I was on the same treadmill, in the same gym, staring at the same muted TV news stations, for three hours. Luckily, my good friend Scott kept me company for the first 12 miles. Krys came and got on the treadmill next to me at mile 17, for her own workout and to keep me company. I know I really appreciated it. For her, it was probably more like talking to a wall. A sweaty, struggling wall.

Why did I decide to conduct my last long run before the VT marathon inside as opposed to exploring 20 miles of the outdoors? Today was a "first" in history. A true modern marvel. Today was the first ever thunderstorm during the mid-morning time. Thunderstorms generally happen in the afternoon and evening, but can even happen overnight. However - they do not happen at 8am. Do you ever remember driving to work in a thunderstorm? No, that would be ridiculous, because it doesn't happen. Until today. I (we, Scott included) opted to run inside and get our running jolts from eating Gel's, not bolts of lighting...lame (the idea, and that joke).

The result was the same. I finished the 20 miles and wanted to immediately lay down. I ran around 9:00/mi for the first 14 miles, then upped it to 8:50/mi for 15-16, 8:40/mi for 17-18, and 8:30/mi for 19-20. I stopped for a few seconds at each mile to have something to drink, but didn't stop my watch, so my time averaged out to 9:02/mi. In the race, I would have at least walked during those parts. I figure 20 stops for drinks, averaging 10 seconds each, that's almost 2 minutes of time today I stopped, but in the race I would be walking. The point is my time would be a little better.

My total miles for the year are over 400. It would be cool to hit 500 during the marathon, but that would require some serious miles these next three weeks; and that just isn't going to happen. Now I taper back for the next three weeks. It will be mentally difficult, I will (and am supposed to) gain a little weight during the last week before the race, as I take in carbs and fluids, and exercise less. The idea is I will feel fresh and ready to go come race day. Let's hope so.


1 comment:

  1. Eric thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately I won't be in VT this year but will be in NY so decided to run Buffalo the same weekend. Best of luck to you in VT looks like your training is going well. Nice 20 miler on the treadmill! Maybe we'll cross paths soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete